What is 311?
- 311 is a simple, three-digit phone number that you can use to get non-emergency information about City of South Bend services or programs, or to make a request for service. Residents, visitors and businesses no longer have to try to find the right division or individual at the City to get information or help.
Who can call 311?
- Anyone within the South Bend city limits can call 311 free of charge, but regular pay phone and cellular phone charges still apply.
What are the hours of operation?
- Customer service representatives are available to answer your questions or fill a service request Monday-Friday, 7:30am-5:30pm.
What if I want to call 311 but I'm outside of the city?
- If you are outside of the City of South Bend and want to reach a 311 customer service representative, please call 574-233-0311.
Is this a free service?
- There is no charge for calling 311, but pay phone and cellular air time charges will still apply. There is no additional service fee collected by your telephone company.
Will 311 accept collect calls from outside of the city limits?
- No. Callers from outside of the city limits must dial 574-233-0311 and, if applicable, long distance charges will be applied to the call.
Can you call 311 from a cell phone?
- Yes. In fact, you can call 311 from a cell phone that does not have a 574 area code as long as the call is placed from within the city limits. Cellular air time charges will apply.
I can dial 311 from my home but it doesn't work from my office. Why not?
- Many offices and institutions have complex routing and telephone systems that may need to be configured to allow users to dial 311. You can contact the telecomm office for your company or institution and request them to reconfigure the system to allow calls to 311. Alternatively, you can reach 311 South Bend by dialing 574-233-0311
What is the difference between 311 and 911?
- 911 is the number to call in case of emergency. 311 is the number to call to obtain information and access to non-emergency City government services.
What is the difference between 311 and 211?
- 311 provides information about City services only whereas 211 can provide information about human services from any level of government and other service providers.
- 211 is your community connection. It is the number to call for information about human services - health, social and community services. 211 is the national designated number for information and referral across the country. Easy to recognize and easy to remember, 211 enables you to find services in our community quickly and efficiently.
United Way 211 has the most comprehensive information and referral database in St. Joseph County and can help those in need locate human, health, and social services. 211 currently lists 609 Agencies in the St. Joseph County database that represent 1,878 Programs available in our community.
Can I change or cancel a service request?
- Yes. Call 311 and a customer service representative will assist you. You can only cancel a request if you have your reference number.
How will 311 know if duplicate service requests are made for a single issue like a pothole?
- 311 customer service representatives have access to mapping technology that identifies the location of service requests. While handling a phone call, the customer service representative will verify that the request has not already been made before inputting the request. Online service requests and e-mail inquiries are also reviewed to ensure that there is no duplication.